Skellefteå Airport

Medicine on the flight

The EU and EEA

New rules for hand luggage. This means that the volume of liquid that you may carry in hand baggage is limited to 100 ml per container. Bottles, cans, tubes, et cetera should be placed in a 1-liter plastic bag provided at Skellefteå Airport. The new rules apply to all flights from Swedish airports, both domestic and international as well as to destinations outside the EU.

Medicine, children’s- and dietetic food are excluded. You can carry in your hand bagage as much prescription medication you will need during your absence.

Medicine that is available without a prescription (lens cleaner flouid, cough syrup, nose-drops, etc), you first take with you as much as you need during the flight itself. But you can carry on your medicine without prescription for the duration of your absence if you are unsure whether you can buy the product at the destination or if it is only available in larger packages.

Medicine need not be in plastic bags, but remember to pack liquid medicines so that you can show them at airport security check.

Airline regulations shall always be met. Also check with airline.

To import narcotic drugs for own use in the EU / EEA country you must present a certificate proving your right to carry your medicines with you. This applies whether you have the medication in carry-on baggage or checked baggage. As a narcotic drug is include many sleeping pills, sedatives, strong painkillers. You turn to the pharmacy to get a so-called Schengen Certificate issued.

The countries currently covered by the rules of the Schengen Certificates are: Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany and Austria.

If you are unsure whether your medicines are drugs classified in Sweden you can contact your pharmacy or

Drug classification may differ between countries. Also the rules governing the admission of these medications may vary from country to country. So please contact their embassy for details.

Outside EU and EEA

If you travel from Sweden to countries outside the EU / EEA area, please contact the country’s embassy to inform you about the rules that apply to the importation of narcotic drugs. You should always be able to prove that the drugs you carry are intended for own, medical use, for example by a medical certificate in the appropriate language. You can also contact the airline you are traveling with to find out what applies.

More information  (import and export of drugs) (Schengen Certificate)  (form for Schengen Certificate)